What Are Steroids?
Anabolic steroids are man-made medications related to testosterone. Although it is a hormone that brings out male sexual traits, testosterone is found in both guys and girls. Doctors use anabolic steroids to treat hormone problems in men, delayed puberty, and muscle loss from some diseases. Steroids are popular among athletes because they cause muscles to grow at a rapid pace. Steroids are ILLEGAL to buy, sell or use without a doctor's prescription, and can permanently damage your body if abused.
Types of Steroids
- Corticosteroids: do not build muscles. Instead, they are usually prescribed to reduce swelling.
- Anabolic Steroids: promotes muscle growth and are the type of steroids athletes use to quickly gain strength. However, they can also mess up normal hormone functions and cause other changes in the body, as well as cause the user to become a target for illnesses and mood swings known as "roid rages."
How Do Steroids Affect the Body?
- breast development
- shrinking of the testicles
- male-pattern baldness
- excessive growth of body hair
- short stature (if taken by adolescents)
- tendon rupture
- high blood pressure
- heart attacks
- enlargement of the heart's left ventricle
- liver cancer
- peliosis hepatis
- severe acne and cysts
- oily scalp
- fluid retention
- rage, aggression
What Do Performance-Enhancing Drugs do to Your Body?
Did You Know?
- The NBA has suspended Grizzlies guard O.J. Mayo 10 games without pay for violating the league and union's anti-drug program with a positive test.
- Olympic sprinter Marion Jones admitted lying to investigators who asked her after the fact if she had used performance-enhancing drugs.
- Yankees third-baseman Alex Rodriguez admits to use of PEDs.